Friday, June 6, 2014

Summer

Since it is summer, I have decided to bake everything I can get my hands on.  I had a lot of lemons, so I started by making a lemon pound cake.  I did a little research, and realized America's Test Kitchen has a recipe in their "How Can It Be Gluten Free Cookbook" which I so happen to have gotten from my mom (Thanks mom!).  The recipe is actually fairly simple, but you do need a food processor.
Ingredients
7 oz. ATK Gluten Free Flour Blend
1 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. xanthan gum
8 3/4 oz sugar
2 T lemon zest
1 T lemon juice (about 2 lemons)
4 large eggs
4 oz cream cheese
1.5 t vanilla
8 T butter, melted

2 oz powdered sugar
2 t. lemon juice

Recipe
Start by preheating your oven to 350.  Spray or butter and flour a loaf pan and set aside.  In a bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, salt, and xantham gum together. Set this aside. In the food processor, pulse sugar and zest together.  Add lemon juice, eggs, cream cheese, and vanilla and process until combined. Using the feed tube, add the melted butter while the processor is running.  Let it run about 30 seconds. Add the liquid mix to the flour mix and whisk together until smooth and combined.  Pour the batter into the pan and bake for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, reduce the heat to 325 and bake for another 20 minutes. Turn the pan, and bake another 10-15 minutes, until golden and a toothpick comes out clean. Let sit for 10 minutes, then run a knife around the edge and turn out onto a cooling rack.  Let the cake cool completely, about 2 hours.

30 minutes before serving, whisk together the powdered sugar and lemon juice until smooth.  Spread evenly over the top of the cake and let sit 15 minutes, until hard and opaque.

I didn't have any cream cheese, so I decided to sub sour cream for cream cheese.  As far as I can tell, it worked the same as cream cheese would have, while also being a little bit healthier (or as healthy as a pound cake can be).  Also, I didn't wait to turn out the cake or to let it cool, so the glaze sort of melted into the cake and it broke apart a lot.  Overall, it tasted amazing and had a really smooth consistency.  It wasn't grainy, and had a dense, nice crumb to it.  I served it with some fresh raspberries. It could also be served with a simple raspberry sauce. Additionally, 1/4 cup poppy seeds can be added to the flour mixture for another variation on this awesome recipe.


No comments:

Post a Comment