Friday, June 6, 2014

Summer Pt. 3

This is the last update so far this summer, I promise.  While at the store buying blueberries for the muffins in the last post, I happened upon a new product I wanted to try.  I haven't had a cinnamon roll in who-knows-how-long, and there, sitting in front of me, was a boxed cinnamon roll mix.  I had to have it.  So, I made an impulse purchase.  The brand is chebe, and I found it on the shelf in the gluten free section of Giant. The box is pictured to the right.  It was a simple mix, the only things needed were 3 T. oil, 2 T. milk, and 2 eggs. Also, 2 T. soft butter, 1/4 c. brown sugar, and 2 t. cinnamon were needed for the filling.

I followed the directions on the back of the box, and it was really simple.  Put the oil, milk, eggs, and powdered mix into a bowl and mix together.  I started with a whisk and finished with my hands. The dough should be elastic but sticky. I then put 2 pieces of parchment paper out and rolled the dough between them; I didn't want to have to clean the counters. Roll it into a rectangle, about 11in by 8 in. Spread 1 T. butter over the dough with a butter knife (seen left). Mix the other T. butter, the brown sugar, and the cinnamon with a fork until combined and crumbly.  Sprinkle the cinnamon mixture over the top of the rolled out dough.  Then, taking the dough from the long side, roll it into a log. Cut the log into 1 inch pieces, and put into a greased muffin tin.  Bake at 375 for 15-18 minutes, until light brown in color. Immediately remove from the muffin tin and turn over onto a plate, sticky side up.

The cinnamon rolls were really good, but semi labor intensive.  The dough was sticking to the parchment and didn't roll very easily.  I wish they had peel and bake cinnamon rolls.  Also, I would recommend putting the cut rolls into a cake pan, and baking like that so they all soak up all the buttery goodness.  Also, there was no glaze to spread over the top, which was mildly disappointing. Overall, not something I would do again, but worth it for the one time.

No comments:

Post a Comment