Monday, September 2, 2013

Random Dinner

First things first. I feel like a real adult. My friend Bryan and I bought a Costco membership yesterday. It makes me feel all grown up. It also makes me feel broke because it should be scientifically proven that at any trip to Costco, one must spend upwards of $100, which I did.  I bought sausages, mini tacos (corn tortillas make them GF), all of the cereal, and some random odds and ends that quickly added up.

After a week of meals being provided for you through band, cooking for yourself seems daunting all over again. I couldn't even think of any food to begin to make, so I stood looking in my fridge and started picking odds and ends. I had ground beef, rice, a little grated cheddar cheese, and some spinach. I browned the beef in a big skillet and seasoned it with Old Bay (look Ma! I'm a Real Marylander!).  I cooked the rice and just threw in about half a tablespoon of butter and a sprinkle of salt, just to give it some flavor. I put the spinach on the plate and topped it with the grated cheese, then put the rice and meat on top. Because I timed this so the rice and meat were still hot when going onto the spinach and cheese, the spinach wilted around the edges and the cheese melted.  It was perfection. The only thing I would do next time is add a bit more Old Bay. I was a bit light handed because it has so much salt, but I could barely taste it.

No comments:

Post a Comment