Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Family

This weekend my brother and sister came to Maryland. It was the first time I saw them in months. I was so happy the entire weekend.  The morning they left, we met my aunt, uncle, and cousins at Union Market in DC.  It is a very upscale farmers marker in the middle of a run down town.  There are two parts: an outside market that changes weekly, and the indoor, more permanent part of the market.  We did a lap around the market before deciding on breakfast.  My sister, Mollye, and my aunt and cousin (let's call her R) went and got bagels and more Jewish-esque sandwiches.  My brother, Louis, my uncle, my cousin (we'll call him E), and I went to an Italian sandwich joint.  Mollye, Uncle and I also got some really good coffee.  They even put a design in my milk (shown right).  Anyway, sandwiches.  Mollye got a bagel with the most amazing smoked salmon I've ever had.  Aunt got a white fish sandwich that was super creamy but had the right amount of texture to make it not just mush.  R got plain cream cheese on a plain bagel, just as any normal 11 year old would do.  At the Italian place, Red Apron Butchery, I got a muffaletta sandwich.  It ended up being a panini, so I just took the bread off and ate the meat and olive giardiniera. E got an Italian beef sandwich. It was ok, but nothing compares to the Italian beef in Chicago.  Uncle got a meatloaf sandwich which was surprisingly good.  I took a few forks of the meatloaf.  Louis ended up getting porkstrami.  If you are curious, the description is here.

After we ate a ridiculous amount of food, we walked around more.  I ended up buying two Italian Sausages from Red Apron.  I also bought cilantro and some oyster mushrooms. I am holding one of the mushrooms in the photo to the left.  Louis bought some chamomile tea, and Mollye got a cupcake. The last thing I got was gelato.  I got chocolate and salted caramel. My mother should be so proud.

There were some really cool stands around the indoor market.  The cheese stand we saw was amazing looking.  We wanted to buy some, but when the cheapest cheese is $28 a pound, you pass it up.  There was also a really cool knife shop we spent some time in, as well as a spice stand.  The spice stand was cool, but could never compare to The Spice House, in Evanston.  I had a ton of fun walking around the market and seeing my family. I can't wait for my mom to visit in three weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment