Friday, March 22, 2013

Sweet Potato...Something...





Sunday night we made a kind of Mexican Shepard's pie.  It was...interesting.  The recipe, which I actually am unsure if it is the exact same one we used, can be found here.  (We have a thing in my family where if a recipe is bad we just throw it away.  Well, my brother didn't really like it, so it got tossed.  I loved it...) It is basically a ground meat and tomato based dish with a sweet potato puree as a topper.  It was actually pretty good, although the sweet potatoes became a kind of mushy mess, similar to baby food from a jar.  My mom was being creative and played with a pastry bag (HEY! That's my job!) and did a fancy topper with the potatoes.  You don't have to do the same thing, you can just spread them on top.  Also, we left out the Worcestershire sauce by mistake, but I am not really sure if that had much of an affect.  Another change, if you use regular potatoes it might turn out with a sturdier topping to it.  The last change that was made was using 2T Gluten Free flour instead of the normal flour used.  When using a little flour for a thickener, you can just substitute your flour 1:1.  If doing something like baking, look up a ratio online.

Also, my mom and I finally surrendered.  We bought Xanthum gum.  When my mom was transferring it to another container, she spilled a bit.  I was playing around and put some on my finger.  BIG MISTAKE.  That stuff will stick with you for a LONG TIME.  I had to wipe it onto a towel before my hands were completely clean.  I will experiment with this soon and give an update :D

No comments:

Post a Comment